Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Hibernation


That's a wrap. Big decisions ahead for this team -- contracts for Kerry Wood, Shaun Estes, Mark Grudzelanek, Antonio Alfonseca -- and my opinions on them will follow. While I've always tried to keep this blog forward looking, I need to say something.

I sat here in tears, tonight. My wife, my 4 and 1 year old sons were asleep. I was by myself. The 4 year old... he badly wanted the Cubs to win. He already knows the words to Go Cubs Go and Dying Cubs Fans last Request. But he doesn't understand what losing is and that the Cubs won't be back for 6 months. He doesn't understand how close they were to something special. How do I explain to him that they lost and they may not get this close again for 20 more years.

Back in 1984 I was mad that they lost, but I was 17 then. I thought they'd be good for a while. I was wrong. Tonight, I'm empty. I now understand that these events don't happen very often. They could, but management of the Cubs doesn't allow it. You have to grab on to what scraps you are given.

My dad tought me to be a Cubs fan. He died 9 years ago this Halloween. He was 5 when they last were in a World Series. He couldn't remember it. My son is named for him. He won't remember this. Lucky for him.

One was 5. One is 4. I'm 36. I was mad in 1984. I'm empty tonight. How do i explain it to him? How do I explain that I want better that the mediocrity that is Kerry Wood? How do I explain? I guess I teach him a new saying.

Wait until next year.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]