Wednesday, October 15, 2003

It Ends Tonight


I turned down tickets to the game tonight in section 223, about even with the skyboxes. Why would any Cub fan do that? Simple.

I didn't want to be at a funeral.

I fully expect August Kerry to show up tonight and walk 13 batters and have a temper tantrum when a pitch 4 inches outside is called a ball.

But even if I'm wrong, last night sucked any joy of winning this series right out of me. It's the anti-Ditka. Expect losing. If they lose, so be it. That's what I expected. But a win tonight would fill me with relief, not joy. This team gave away 3 games in the post season: Game 2 against Atlanta, and Games 1 and 6 against Florida. They should have swept Atlanta and should have beaten Florida in 5. Instead they got two Win-or-go-home games. They won the road game behind Wood. But based on his last outing, I fully expect to see Juan Cruz in by around inning 6.

Thanks for the ride, Cubs. If you keep on driving after today, I'm still along. But I won't be as excited. The joy has been sucked out by a sucky performance by a team and a few of their fans.

Yeah. The Smoking Gun may have released his name, but several fans reached for the ball. They are all culpable.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]