Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Step Three


Haven't had much time to write with the two holidays and some travel to California in the mix. Game 4 was great to attend until the final out -- after which, depression set in. After Sunday's pick me up, we take a brief look ahead at the NLCS.

I think it's as simple as Games 1 and 3. If the rotation has Prior in games 2 and 6 and Wood in 3 and 7, then Prior and Wood's first two starts are must wins. My confidence level in Prior is complete. I see no way the Cubs lose tomorrow (I'll be in the bleachers!). My confidence in Wood has never been higher, but I still remember the Wood from the middle of the year. I see that as a likely win, but not a lock.

That leaves Zambrano and Game 1. While I like him more than Clement, I worry about youthful exuberence. I think this is the most likely game for a letdown.

So here it is. If the Cubs win tonight, they win the pennant. If they lose (as I suspect they will), then Wood is a must win in Game 3 or it's Marlins in 5. If Big Zamboni loses and Prior and Wood both win, Cubs in 7. Big Z wins tonight and it's Cubs in 5.

-------

Is it just me or are champaigne celebrations after a first round playoff win stupid? I don't recall any NBA teams cutting loose after reaching a division championship series, much less the NBA finals. Keep that stuff on ice until you win the league or the whole thing. For that matter, there'd be no cutting down the nets in the NCAA Tourney for a Regional Final win. No celebrating until you win the whole enchilada.

-------

While our hopes are with the Cubs, our prayers are with Ron Santo. While I am not a fan of Santo the broadcaster, I am a huge fan of Santo the person. Get well and come to Wrigley soon, Ronnie. We need to see you throw out the first pitch on October 18th.

-------

I've been informed that this phrase attracts more readers: Kerry's Wood's wife is hot.

-------

Did anyone see *David Wells'* wife? Talk about overmarried. He musta met her where Phil Mickelson found his wife.

-------

Yankees over Red Sox in 6.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]