Thursday, November 06, 2003

Movie Chat


Well, Nemo did set a record with over 8 million copies sold, besting Spider-man. Three cheers for Albert Brooks!

Now Matrix Revolutions. According to Mirriam-Webster's Thesaurus, the following is a list of words to describe this movie.

Entry Word: bad

Function: adjective

Text: 1 falling short of a standard of what is satisfactory

Synonyms amiss, ||bum, ||crappy, dissatisfactory, poor, ||punk, rotten, unsatisfactory, up, wrong
Related Word deficient, inadequate, inferior; careless, slipshod; defective, disordered, off, unsound; execrable, ||lousy, miserable, ||pisspoor, wretched; inadmissible, objectionable, unacceptable; insufferable, intolerable

Idioms below par, not up to snuff (or scratch)

The first movie was amazing. It ended with the followign speech:

-----
I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.
-----
That was the basis for some great follow up. Getting a society to unlearn what it perceives as reality would be a great theme for a series of movies. And people so enamoured with the ultimate gilded jail that they would fight to protect it? Coolness.

Instead, the Wachowski's of Chicago went Lucas. All visuals. No story. And the most boring conversations that would make even the most Trekked out Trekkie wince.

I almost screamed at the screen, "LET'S GO!!!!!" at several points in the film. No tension, no big ideas. And blatant Star Wars riffs. My buddy and I were cracking jokes the whole way through quoting lines from the original Star Wars movies. And those lines fit better than the dialogue that was on the screen.

What a waste. This is what it would feel like if Mark Prior went 7-15 each year for the rest of his career.

Spend an extra $9 and buy Nemo. Skip this dreck.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]