Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Explaining to a 4 year old


The Rose thing is simple. And any people who don't get it are just stupid. Sorry, but that's it.

THE GUY TURNED EVERY GAME IN WHICH HE WAS INVOLVED INTO A NON-BELIEVABLE EVENT.

By betting on games, he makes what is supposed to be an exhibition of athleticism be transformed into a game of chance with profitability for one of the participants. This is also known as fraud.

Now, some say, "Cheating is cheating" and that Sammy's corked bat is no different. By that mentality, jaywalking has the same punishment as murder. Pete Rose did the baseball equivalent of baseball murder one. Premeditated gambling on the outcome of games in which he was involved.

My 4 year old and I were in the car today listening to Mike & Mike ramble on about this. My kid asked what this was all about. I said that a man cheated on baseball. I used that word "cheated" to see what his response was. The 4 year old said, "Just like Sammy Sosa?" "Good!" I thought. He remembered.

I explained that what this guy did was worse. That Sammy cheated and he got punished. And that this guy was also being punished.

Pete Rose needs to be punished with what the law says. And that says a lifetime ban. I wouldn't want my kid to think that he can get away with murder if he just waits out public opinion.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]