Friday, February 20, 2004

Movie (non)Review


So much talk over the Passion, Mel Gibson's film depicting the final 12 hours of Jesus' life. I had a long talk with a friend of mine who is my window to the Catholic world. We discussed if the movie was going to be anti-Semetic or not.

Now I have friends in my circle who refuse to even see the film on those grounds. I confronted one of them and asked how could they be against something that no one they know has even seen? I asked my friend if someone who neve met a Jewish person should automatically assume that all Jews were cheap?

This movie must be judged on face value. Will I go see it? Probably not. I'm just not that interested to take the time and get a baby sitter and spend $20 to watch it. I would probably rent it once it comes to DVD. What I do know is that it needs to be seen and judged, not judged and boycotted.

There is one thing I heard that gives me pause. WGN TV had a report on the film. They said that a scene in the film shows Jesus being taken to the Romans by a small group of Jewish elders. The elders throw Jesus off a bridge. Supposedly this event is not biblical in origin, but comes from a 19th century commentary written on the Passion. Mel Gibson has said that this movie is supposed to be true to the original gospels. How can this be true if a modern commentary is included? And given that the scene supposedly depicts "Jews Behaving Badly," I get a little nervous.

Regardless. Don't avoid the movie because what others who haven't seen it have said. Go see it or avoid it because of your interest level. You see, you decide. Fair and balanced.

Great. Now both Al Franken and Bill O'Rielly will sue me.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]