Thursday, February 26, 2004

Wanted vs. Desired vs. Available


I wanted to make a list of all 29 lead-off hitters and see who was most likely the guy that the Cubs will acquire before July 1, but, alas, I cannot find such a list today. With the Cubs all warm and fuzzy and not much to talk about, I scanned for other subjects. I don't really care about the Bartman ball, although I'll probably have the TV on.

That leaves the gay marriage fiasco. Here's a take you probably haven't seen. I'm all for gay's been able to pick a spouse. Why should I care who one person chooses to be their legal beneficiary of life insurance, or work provided health care, or be able to make "pull the plug" decisions in the event of a catastrophic illness? Go ahead and have such a person in your life. And let the state recognize that person and confer all such rights.

But the gay community should beware. They might just regret getting these rights. Why? One simple word.

Divorce.

I can see the lawyers lining up right now to litigate divorces. Estimates are that 3 to 5% of the US population is gay. That means about 10 million adult homosexuals in the US and the potential for 5 million marriages. If 50% end in divorce, like the heterosexual population, that's an additional 2.5 million divorce cases for shysters... uh... lawyers.

Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it. But if you really, REALLY want it, go right ahead.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]