Monday, April 05, 2004

The List


When I had my season tickets, Opening Day was a day off of work. I'd start by sleeping in, then cranking up the VCR for a while with 2 videos before heading for my first beer at around noon. What were those videos? Cubs Win - The Story of the 1984 Chicago Cubs, and The Boys of Zimmer (1989 highlight film). I guess I cranked those out because they showed the Cubs winning. And they were the only higlight films ever produced of the Cubs that were made in my lifetime.

It got me thinking. Were I to do a film fest of the best baseball movies and highlight videos, what would I watch? Here's a list. Feel free to add others if you think of them.
=====
Field of Dreams - If your dad coached you to a little league title like mine did, how can this film not get to you? I just wish he'd seen it. And I can't wait to show it to my oldest. He'll probably not get it for another 15 years or so and just think I'm his sappy dad.

Pride of the Yankees - Sure, Coop was better in High Noon, but can you beat a film that has real 1930's Yankees eating Babe Ruth's hat?

The Bad News Bears - This movie has Cubs all over it:
Coach Morris Buttermaker: Come on, fellas. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Ogilvie: Yeah, it took several hundred years.

Bull Durham - The end goes on a little too long, but the rest is brilliant. And Max Patkin, too!

1975 World Series highlight video - I used to hope for rain delays just for this video. Joe Gargiola narates over Fisk, Carbo, Tiant, Rose, Griffey and Bench.

A League of their Own - Sappy, but a great scene where Hanks has to tell one of the players that their husband was killed in the war.

Major League - Most overrated baseball movie, ever! I put it at the end because I'll be so sleepy from the others I don't have to watch Berringer and Russo try to act.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]