Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Cha-Ching!


That's the sound of team cash registers after closing a deal to put ads for Spider-Man 2 on the tops of bases. The ads will appear the weekend of June 11th during interleague play.

I say, "More power to the owners." Every other sport uses almost all available space for advertising. Hell, NASCAR wouldn't exist without it. The NFL prominently features the Nike swoosh just below every player's chin strap.

What I object to is the payout. Each home team is getting $50,000 for the ads, save two. The Yanks and BoSox each get over $100,000. Now why aren't these funds paid to each team equally? How much is having a base with an ad on it worth in Fenway if Shaun Green of the Dodgers (that weekend's opponent) isn't there to step on it?

MLB doesn't need a salary cap. What they need is a genuine revenue sharing plan. If I'm KC, I tell Steinbrenner to fork over 40% of his gate and local media money next time I come to town or I'll forfeit the games. Let's see what YES pays Steinbrenner for a blank screen. Let's see how many hotdogs are sold those three nights.

Kor E8


Can you play a more brutal center than Kor E8 did last night? He is not the short term solution in the two hole and not the long term solution in center. I'm starting to want Beltran more than I want Vidro.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]