Friday, June 04, 2004

My Kingdom for some O -- Any O


Do you start to see it now? Even the most rose colored bleacher bum now understands why I wrote that getting Prior back won't help. Try this axiom on for size:

YOU CAN'T WIN IF YOU DON'T SCORE RUNS.

While I still think that D Lee will come around, the brutal reality is that there are only 3 names on the roster that can be counted on for offense.

Alou
Sosa
Ramirez

And with one of those out taking muscle relaxants and Allegra, the team won't score runs. And they could have a starting 5 of Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Warren Spahn and Sandy Koufax and they won't win. More bases loaded choking. They get two hits in those situations, no one's blaming Borowski (they'd be right in wanting him out, but they wouldn't incorrectly blame him for the loss).

The season now rests on this: Will the Reds / Cards / Astros stay close enough to the Cubs until other teams start making trades.

I dunno. That's still about 4 weeks away. Eight games is the max I see this team making up.

Now, this can all be mitigated by Walker and Barrett hitting at a high .290 clip and Lee pulling his head out in the next 37 seconds. I have my doubts.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]