Tuesday, July 06, 2004

But It's Hard To Get Jose Bautista In Your Spokes


The Chicago Tribune ran a story last Saturday about one Martin Abramowitz who created a set of baseball cards of every Jewish major leaguer on them. The Cubs tie in was that the set had one error. It mis-identified Cubs' pitching coach Larry Rothschild as Jewish.

The kicker is that on August 29th and 30th, the Baseball Hall of Fame will host a celebration of Jewish major-leaguers. Some of the 143 living players, including Ken Holtzman, have said they will attend. The 10 active Jewish players will not attend (i.e. no Shawn Green).

Having read the Sandy Koufax book, I wonder if he'll be there. And I wonder about Rod Carew as well. I wonder if converts count. My guess is yes. I'd pay to see Koufax hurl a matzo ball at Carew on Doubleday Field. Hell, my grandmother made some Passover matzo balls harder than anything Spaulding ever made.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]