Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Perect Storm?


Is it just me, or is everyone taking the wrong tack on Tropical Storm Frances and the Cubs's trip to Miami this weekend. It's possible that 1 or two games could be rained out.

Fine by me. The less the Cubs see of the Marlins the better. And if the Cubs can have a big enough lead at the end of the year (doubtful), maybe they wouldn't have to make up the game.

Dennis the Mennace


I've heard lots of politicians say stupid things. But this is a cake-taker. Home state congressman and Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Denny Hastert insinuated that billionaire George is getting his big bucks from drug lords.

"You know, I don't know where George Soros gets his money. I don't know where - if it comes overseas or from drug groups or where it comes from ... George Soros has been for legalizing drugs in this country. So, I mean, he's got a lot of ancillary interests out there."

Chris Wallace, the interviewer responded, "You think he may be getting money from the drug cartel?"

Ex-high school wrestling coach Hastert replied, "I'm saying I don't know where groups - could be people who support this type of thing. I'm saying we don't know."

Beyond the baselessness of the attack, it's also logically wrong. Were drugs to be legalized in the U.S., foreign drug lords would lose billions as domestic manufacturers replaced the foreign supply channel. The drug lords WANT drugs to stay a controlled substance.

Now, since the drug lords want the drugs controlled, and Denny Hastert wants drugs controlled, and the GOP has raised more money than ever before, using Hastertian logic, the GOP may be getting drug money. I'm saying we don't know.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]