Monday, February 14, 2005

Good or Bad?


I have no idea what to make of this article (hat tip Cubs4breakfast). Clearly, it's good thing to read that Korey Patterson and Jason Dubois are already in camp and working on their skills. Dubois is trying to make a case for more playing time, while Korey is trying to... I dunno.

Patterson, 25, was practicing two weeks earlier than required to improve as a leadoff hitter. In 2004, he slammed 24 home runs and hit .266, but he also struck out 166 times.

"No matter who you are, you can improve," Patterson said. "Nobody is better than the game."

Patterson, who stole 32 bases last year, hopes to get on base more this year and score more runs for the Cubs, who will likely hit fewer homers after the departure of Alou and the trade of longtime slugger Sammy Sosa.

"To me, there aren't a lot of good leadoff men in the game. I'm looking to be one of the best," Patterson said.

If he's truly working on leadoff skills (working the count, bunting, shortening his wing), then this is great news. If he's just trying to curry favor so that he doesn't get buried in the order in favor of Hairston, then I hope it doesn't work.

One of my problems with Korey has been the underlying theme with him that he wants to be a third place hitter. Why does he want that? Because those are the guys that get $15 million X 5 years. This guy is, I believe, motivated by trying to score the big contract. I see this quote about being one of the best leadoff hitters in the game, and I hear, "I'm looking to be one of the best leadoff hitters and earn a commensurate contract."

Why can't this guy say, "I finished poorly last year and that hurt the team. I'm here early to try to be consistent all year. I want this team to win."

Nah, you'll never hear this from Patterson.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]