Friday, February 18, 2005

Roid Rambling


Mike Greenwell is now outraged that Jose Canseco beat him out for an MVP in 1988.

"I would have never said a word, but now that Jose's admitted he was using steroids during the time he beat me [for] the MVP, then I have a problem with that because, obviously, I wasn't playing on an even playing field," Greenwell said.

"He reaped a lot of rewards and a lot of benefits for being on an illegal drug and probably took something away from me that I never got to feel. So does it bother me? Absolutely."

He said he doesn't care about having the MVP award given to him, but "I just want it acknowledged that as far as I'm concerned, he cheated while he won it."

Whatever, Mike. Please return to being irrelevant. What's funny is that the outrage level was turned up to a higher level by Tom Shaer on WMVP this morning. Tom is outraged that Jason Giambi beat out Frank Thomas for an MVP in 2000. Tom pounded and pounded on the microphone how unfair it was for a cheater like Giambi to beat a clean guy like Thomas.

Now hold on, Tom. How the hell do we know that Thomas was clean? Because he said so?

We know he's likely had access to steroids since he was 18. Thomas was a football player at Auburn his freshman year. Do you want to tell me that there were no steroids in the Auburn program in 1986? Puh-lease. He had plenty of access. The access probably grew once he started playing professional baseball.

Now, I'm not saying that Frank took steroids. I'm also not saying he didn't. I simply mean that the only thing we have to go on is Frank's word. And I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Why does Tom Shaer? Perhaps he's still clouded in his PowderPuff Task Force thinking.

And how soon does the Steroid Spotlight move over to the NFL? The Tedy Bruschi stroke incident had people questioning his possible usage over at the Mike & Mike show on ESPN Radio this morning.

This story is just starting. It's going to reach all the way to President Bush before it's over. It's now clear why he made steroids prominent in the State of the Union speech last year in 2004. He knew it was coming and that he would be implicated. At least he would be out in front of the issue and in favor of reform when it came. Very smart.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]