Thursday, July 07, 2005

A Long Time Coming


On April 11, 2003, I sent the following email to the Cubbies.com listsev:

From: Chuck
To: cubbies@eskimo.com
Date: Friday, April 11, 2003 4:10 PM
Subject: Dump Time

I've had enough of Corey Patterson. It was obvious to me 3 years ago, this guy ain't got it. He's a poor man's Odibbie McDowell.

He doesn't put the ball in play. He doesn't play good defense. And when he does get on base, he can't run because he's always getting picked off or doubled up.

This team is a 2nd baseman 3rd baseman and a centerfielder away from contending. And one of those guys has to be a leadoff hitter.

As to Bobby Hill, I hear he thinks the Mendoza line is north of Des Moines.

I take no joy in Corey being sent down (the K is being sent down as well), other than it allows the Cubs to add a player that can be truly useful. Corey may be a good guy, he may not. I've never met the man.

That said, this is a move made about three years too late. Had this kid been left for a full season in Iowa or even Double A, perhaps it would be a different story. Perhaps he wouldn't have been so arrogant. Perhaps he would have learned to bunt.

I expect the next time we see #20 in Cubbie Blue, the name on the back will be "Pie."

So long, Corey, and thanks for trying.

I hear your bus boarding. Get on it.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]