Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"Time of your life, huh, kid?"


Who's the U-Boat Commander?It's been suggested that, since I don't think that many lines hold up from "Risky Business" ("Porche - There is no substitute." " I've got a trig midterm tomorrow, and I'm being chased by Guido the killer pimp.") that I don't like the movie.

Far from it.

I love this film. It was the 80's all over. It was the first "Chicago" film that I really loved (I didn't appreciate the "Blues Brothers" until much later). It's still the best movie Tom Cruise has ever made.

To me, the best scene is still near the beginning. Joel and his friends are eating lunch at the high school. Joel is asking them about their post-college goals. All his friends say they want to make a lot of money. Joel says he wants a deeper, more meaningful adulthood. More than just money. All his friends call, "Bullshit!" and Joel laughs. He wants money, too.

Just because a movie's great lines don't hold doesn't mean the movie itself doesn't hold up.

I'm still waiting for the definitive DVD version of the film.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]