Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Who Is Smarter? And Who Draws the Paycheck?


I made the mistake of listening to WGN Radio's Jim Memelo on Sunday. In the wrap up after the Cubs were swept by the lowly Nationals (can you describe a team as "lowly" if your own team needs an adjective that would mean "looking up at lowly"?), Memelo was taking the defense for Jim Hendry.

Memelo seems to believe that, if you were in favor of dumping Corey Patterson, dumping Joe Borowski, trading for Juan Pierre, and a host of other moves that Hendry made that have not worked out, you can't criticize Hendry now. See, second guessing Hendry is not allowed if you didn't first guess him wrong.

As I reached for one of the One Year Old's leftover spit-up towels to wipe the blood out of my ears, my logic center took over.

Wouldn't second guessing be appropriate because JIM HENDRY IS SUPPOSED TO BE SMARTER THAN THE REST OF US?!?!?!? ISN'T THAT WHY HE'S THE GENERAL MANAGER AND I AM NOT?!?!?!?

Clearly, I wanted Corey gone. I wanted Pierre here. Perhaps I was wrong. BUT IT'S NOT MY JOB TO BE RIGHT ABOUT PERSONNEL MOVES.

I won't second guess Hendry over either of those moves. But can anyone who wasn't against those moves at the time? Certainly. The GM is supposed to be smarter than the masses. If he's not, fire him and have the Cubs make moves by majority vote. It wouldn't be worse and would save the Trib over a million bucks per year.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]