Friday, October 28, 2011

Staying on a Theme

IvyChat has come across a recording of Theo Epstein's exit interview in Boston:

Theo Epstein: Last night we said a great many things. You said you were going to do the thinking for both of us. Well, I've done a lot of it since then, and it all adds up to one thing: I’m getting on that plane for Chicago.

Larry Lucchino: But, Theo, no, I... I...

Theo: Now, you've got to listen to me! You have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if I stayed here? Nine chances out of ten, we'd wind up in third place again. Isn't that true, Ben?

Ben Cherrington: I'm afraid Andrew Friedman and Brian Cashner would insist.

Larry: You're saying this only to make me let you go.

Theo: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you‘ll be better off with Ben. He's part of your work, the thing that keeps the Red Sox going. If that plane leaves the ground and I'm still working here, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

Larry: But what about us?

Theo: We'll always have 2004 and 2007. What we had left, we lost when Papelbon blew the season in Baltimore.

Larry: When I said I would never fire you...

Theo: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Crane Kenney won't allow it. Larry, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people, you, me and John Henry, don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.

[Larry lowers his head and begins to cry]

Theo: Now, now... Here's looking at your new kid.

Comments:
I retired because the rivalry with the Cubs has been dead for 3 years and will remain so for many to come. The challenge is no longer there.
 
Cardinals fans like to take it in the Pujols!
 
We will win the division in 2012
 
I'm going to the White Sox so I can live in a city that isn't filled with rednecks, retards and fat chicks.
 
I pooped in the dugout when Dusty was manager.
 
I'll pi$$ on your hands...
 
I am out of here!!!
 
I'm being passed over again..dammit!
 
I'm in...let's get going!
 
Are you still my bitch Chuck? I thought we had something that was going to last!!
 
If Ryno gets a job with the Cards I am moving to St. Louis. Bleed Cardinal Red!
 
I don't know what needs more work: The team or some of our dumba$$ fans...
 
I am still pissed Chuck took me off his wish list. And he has not updated the "future watch" in ages! I guess I will go over to BCB for updates.
 
WOW! I`m speechless!!!
 
Can I stay?
 
No Mark, get your bags packed. My brother Greg and I are gonna team up and win a WS ring together.
 
Can I get decent sushi in Wrigleyville?
 
sup my bitches!!!
 
I'm coming too Dale!
 
Cuban drops out of the bidding for the Dodgers. I guess he's going to pretend having interest in buying a team until someone gives him one.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]